About Our Church
Who Are We?
“Dedicated to Mary under her title of Our lady Guadalupe, we strive to imitate her in celebrating the Presence of Jesus Christ through Word and Sacrament. Called by the Gospel and under the guidance of the Spirit, we endeavor to serve the needs the poor, the young, the elderly and the infirm, to Forster a welcoming attitude and nurture spiritual growth.” Our Mission Statement.
What is Our History?
How Our Parish Began
The population of Wimberley in 1955 was barely 600 people with fifteen permanent families who were Catholic. The first Holy mass was said on Easter Sunday, 1955 in the local town hall. We soon became a mission church with a visiting priest who celebrated Holy Mass in the school auditorium. By 1956, the small congregation managed to raise enough funds to build our church.
The church, built on a solid rock foundation, became a mosaic of contributions. Funds, series and church necessities were donated. Amount those donations were the Italian marble altar, vestment and linden closets, second hand pews, heaters and windows. A 75 year-old crucifix from Assumption Church in West was tripped and refinished; parishioners handmade scared linens and vestments.
The Catholic Church Extension society of Chicago, Illinois, gave us $5,000 (a huge sum at that time) with the stipulation that we name our parish “St. Mary, Our lady of Guadalupe.” Bishop Louis Reicher officiated the dedication of our parish on July 1st, 1956 and the first Holy mass was celebrated on July 30, 1956